making an impact
Our Special Builds throughout the year are an opportunity to come together as a community to help our neighbors in need. If you’d like to be a part of one of our special build events, you do not need prior building experience to volunteer. There are opportunities for all skill levels and abilities. You may also volunteer with others, or come solo. All contributions are welcome. Consider lending your time and talents to build and repair homes, because improved communities benefit us all.
Through Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity’s Special Build program, we bring our community together for one shared purpose – to build safe and affordable housing for families in need of a decent place to call home.
Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity provides homeownership, critical home repairs, employment and volunteer engagement opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families.
Five areas we focus on:
- BuildingSafe, decent, affordable housing is the centerpiece of Veterans Build. In many communities, we are expanding programs to maintain and preserve homes by providing critical home repairs to military veteran homeowners.
- EmploymentHabitat for Humanity values skill sets gained from your military service. We recruit veterans to work at Habitat as employees, board members, and volunteers.
- Volunteer engagementWe provide volunteer experiences that bring together veterans, military families and their neighbors. These experiences help bridge the gap and ease the transition to civilian life with fulfilling community engagement.
- EducationHabitat for Humanity provides financial literacy programs. Our programs support successful homeownership among veteran and military homeowners.
- HonorThroughout the year, we host special events that pay tribute to veterans, raise awareness and mobilize volunteers. We invite you to join one of our build events.
Since 1991, Women Build volunteers from all walks of life have come together to build stronger, safer communities.
Our Women Build events provide the opportunity for women to take a proactive step in serving their communities.
Any woman who wants to learn how to build and construct a home is invited to join us. No experience is necessary. Volunteers work under the guidance of construction professionals, and also alongside other volunteers and future Habitat homeowners. Whether you are learning new skills or simply adding a few to your tool belt, this is a rewarding experience for all involved, and improves the community that you share.
Women Build is also a terrific way to involve your friends and family of all ages in crucial work with a lasting impact. Women helping women sends a positive and powerful message. You can also come alone, and make new friends. The atmosphere is collaborative and friendly.
Building Homes from the Heart
Building Homes from the Heart is a Blitz Build event between Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity and Radio Station 100.1 WJRZ. We come together to begin construction on the latest Habitat home. Community partners and sponsors are encouraged to participate to help build the home alongside our partner family. All funds raised from Building Homes from the Heart will be used to complete construction of the Habitat home. Our next Building Homes from the Heart Build blitz build coming in September 2021. More details to come!
Bringing homes to 60 families and counting
Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity lies within one of the hardest-hit Sandy-impacted communities, particularly since our affiliate area includes the barrier island in Ocean County. Funding from various donors, companies, relief funds and foundations helped us assist in the rebuilding efforts of over 60 Sandy-impacted homes.
Northern Ocean Habitat is a proud member of the Ocean County Long Term Recovery Group whose mission is to strengthen and streamline disaster coordination by sharing information, facilitating resident access to dispersal of funds, resources and other services, coordinating recovery efforts with Federal, State and local authorities and agencies, coordinating volunteer activities and resources, and jointly resolving cases with disaster recovery needs, in partnership with a network of n
Local breweries in the northern Ocean County area are coming together to brew up an exciting new fall ale! All proceeds from the beer sales will go directly towards Northern Ocean Habitat’s next new home build. Participating breweries are Last Wave Brewery, Icarus Brewing, the Frye Brewing Company and Toms River Brewing. Stay tuned for the launch date when this will be available at these local breweries and liquor stores near you!