Global Village Trips
Through the Global Village Program, Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity had the opportunity to travel in February 2017 to build in Guatemala. During this trip building alongside residents, our staff and volunteers had the opportunity to be a part of a unique build project and learn the local culture. This is a one-of-a-kind experience while creating an impact abroad. These build opportunities are available every few years.
The Benefits of Volunteering on a Global Village Trip
- You will have an opportunity to contribute to Habitat’s work and create positive change in the world.
- You will learn about poverty housing, development challenges and Habitat’s mission to eradicate them.
- You will experience the community’s culture, language and social practices while working alongside homeowners and volunteers of all backgrounds, races and religions.
- You will take part in a unique lifelong journey that may ignite your passion for making this world a better place.
Who Can Volunteer?
- Anyone who wants to make a difference by picking up a hammer and helping to change lives.
- There is no maximum age limit. Please read the Global Village minor policy (https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/travel-and-build/global-village/minor-policy) for information regarding volunteers under the age of 18.
- It is recommended you are in good health, as there will be a significant amount of manual labor.
General Information to Consider
In most cases, you need a current passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your travel dates. Some countries may also require a visa.
- Language fluency:
There is no language requirement for participating in a Global Village trip. Team leaders can arrange for an interpreter if needed.
- Work site safety:
The on-site construction supervisor will instruct volunteers in the correct procedure for performing each task and will familiarize them with the potential hazards and how such hazards can be minimized or avoided.
- Health and personal safety:
The health and safety of Global Village team members is a top priority. We stay informed of the latest travel advisories from several countries. The participant, however, has the responsibility of understanding the associated risks and making the final decision to participate with a team.
Join the Global Village Program! Call: (732) 818-9500 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Building homes in Guatemala was a moving experience and the kids were the 'icing on the cake.